Here is the link for today's video:
The recipe for Sugar Cookies:
1 cup margarine (or butter)
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 ½ cups flour
1. Preheat oven at 350 F.
2. Cream together margarine and sugar.
3. Add egg.
4. Mix in vanilla, salt and baking powder.
5. Mix flour into the mixture one cup at a time.
6. Bring dough together with your hands to form a ball.
7. Roll out to ½ inch thickness on a flour dusted counter.
8. Form cookies with a cookie cutter, place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
9. Let cool on a cooling rack before icing!
For the royal icing:
3 egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
3 1/3 cups icing sugar
1. Whip egg whites to form stiff peaks.
2. Continue to whip and add lemon juice.
3. Using a low speed, add icing sugar, one cup at a time.
4. Put icing in a Ziploc bag to draw outlines of design, then add a little water to thin the icing for filling in the design
A few things I would like you to do:
1. What is the purpose of creaming the margarine and sugar together?
2. What is the purpose of baking powder in the recipe?
3. What is the difference between baking powder and baking soda?
4. How do you know when egg whites have formed stiff peaks?
5. What is the purpose of tapping the cookie on the counter after icing it?
Send your answers to my e-mail or on the Instagram account!