Posted: May 11, 2020
3 tsp yeast
3 tbsp sugar
2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp margarine/butter
5 cups flour
1. Place yeast, sugar and warm water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes, stir in salt, egg and butter until butter is incorporated.
3. Add flour, one cup at a time. Use a whisk for the first two cups, then switch to a wooden spoon for the remaining three cups. After the last cup of flour, form dough into a ball.
4. Flour your work surface and turn dough out onto the surface.
5. Knead dough for 5 minutes and form into a smooth ball.
6. Oil a bowl, place the dough smooth side down into the bowl then flip it over.
7. Cover bowl with saran wrap and let rise for at least one hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
8. Punch down the dough and knead just a couple of times.
9. Grease muffin pan or loaf pans.
10. If making rolls, divide dough into 24 equal pieces, form each piece into a smooth ball and place 2 balls into each muffin hole.
11. If making bread, divide dough into 4 equal pieces, form each piece into a smooth ball and place 2 pieces side by side in each loaf pan.
12. Cover with saran wrap and let rise for at least one hour or until doubled in size.
13. Preheat oven to 350 F.
14. Bake rolls or bread loaves for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
15. Remove from oven, brush lightly with butter, let cool and ENJOY!
A few things I would like you to do:
1. What is the purpose of sugar in this recipe?
2. Explain what is happening during the rising process.
3. Why do you have to let the dough rise twice?
4. What is the purpose of brushing the tops of the bread when it is finished cooking?
5. What is gluten? What is its purpose?
Send your answers to my e-mail or on the Instagram account!