Posted: May 19, 2020
For the Chocolate Cake:
2 cups white sugar
1 ¼ cups flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven at 350 F.
2. In bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Grease a bundt pan.
5. Pour batter into the pan so that it is just a little over half full (the full recipe should do this).
6. Cover with parchment paper and bake in the over for 45 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from pan and let cool completely before adding icing.
For the Boiled Icing:
A few things I would like you to do:
1. What is the purpose of vegetable oil in a cake?
2. What would happen if you undercooked the brown sugar mixture for your boiled icing? What about if it was over cooked?
3. Why would you want to freshly make your boiled icing rather than the day before? What happens if it sits out for a long time?
4. You can add cream of tartar to the boiled icing. What benefit would this give your icing?
Send your answers to my e-mail or on the Instagram account!