Eng 112 - Be sure to complete chapter 10 and 11 questions for tomorrow. Your final test is at the end of the week.
Chapter 10Terms: illumination (160), assimilating (160), compelled (167)1. Page 157. “It was an accident…he asked for it.” How does this affect our judgement of Piggy? What is the difference between his reaction and Ralph’s?
2. Discuss the following. “…Roger received this news as an illumination. He ceased to work at his tooth and sat still, assimilating the possibilities of irresponsible authority.” (page 160)
3. Page 165. “Get rescued…Ralph sniggered.” Why?
4. Why do none of the children fully recognize what they have done?
5. What happens in the shelter? Who did Ralph hit? Why is that ironic?
Terms: luminous (169), myopia (169), sniveling (170), quavered (174), parried (179), talisman (180)
1. Piggy declares “I’ll show him the one thing he hasn’t got.” (Page 171) What is he talking about and what does he mean?
2. What is the effect and significance of the descriptions of laughter in this scene? (Page 175-178)
3. Ralph screams the following at Jack: “You’re a beast and a swine and a bloody, bloody thief!” (Page 179) What is the significance of these words?
4. Discuss the following: “Below him, Ralph was a shock of hair and Piggy a bag of fat.” (Page 180)
5. Page 181 states “Viciously, with full intention, he hurled his spear at Ralph.” Discuss the significance of the line ‘with full intention.’
6. Why is it significant that both Piggy and the conch are destroyed at once? (Think symbolically)